Table Mountain: 2, Us: 0
She looms gorgeously over our Bo-Kaap guesthouse, daring us to conquer her precarious trails and rocky peaks.
For Agri, who can never resist an athletic challenge or the fun of a risky adventure, it’s a no brainer. We ARE climbing the mountain. I protest. Doesn’t it look kinda rainy at the top?
Of course, he wins, cuz there’s a secret part of me that also wants to try the ascent (I’m just nervous about the climb and my lack of athletic prowess). It’s Table Mountain for goodness sakes. Duh.
We make a plan to trek to the peak, and then take the aerial cableway back down to the bottom.
Conditions are good when we start the climb, and the trail is absolutely stunning. We only pass 4 or 5 other hikers along the way, and it feels truly remote. The “path” is challenging, mostly made up of loose rocks that have been held together and formed into ‘stairs’ with metal wire. Some portions of the trail are downright scary, requiring walking next to a steep cliff, with large stones hanging ominously over top of us.
About 2/3 of the way up the mountain, it starts raining, and things get really scary. Even ‘Agri the Brave’ is a wee bit frightened. It’s cloudy, visibility is low, getting colder, the rocks are slippery and the trail is steep and difficult. We soldier on though. We’re so close to the top, it would be a shame to stop. Besides, when we get there, we’ll get to enjoy the no doubt amazing scenery through the warm windows of the cable car.
Things get worse the closer we get to the top however, and we seriously consider turning back around. Even though I’m frightened, we decide to continue forward since it will be much faster to take the cable car down than to backtrack.
When we’re about 1 hour from the peak, we run into a local hiker on her way back down, who informs us that the aerial cableway service has been canceled, due to treacherous conditions. 🙁
We have no choice, but to turn back around and retrace our steps. It’s a terrifying descent down. We survive though, and wouldn’t you know it. The sun comes out, and it is resplendent.
Have you hiked Table Mountain? Did you make it to the peak? Was it as glorious as we imagined it would be?
Oh, the Places We See
Wish I could say we are as adventurous as you were — we took the cable car! But several in our party wanted to make the climb. I’m forwarding them your post!!! What a gorgeous spot nonetheless and one we’d love to revisit! http://ohtheplaceswesee.com
Hey! Thanks for sharing our post! 🙂 Lol…I wish we’d taken the cable car myself. We would’ve actually made it to the top!! but unfortunately (for me), my hubby loves anything involving any risk or challenge. I’d also like to revisit. One day… one day…. 😉
Pingback: The Breakdown: South Africa | Travel-Stained
Pingback: The 5 Places I Can’t Stop Dreaming About | Travel-Stained
Looks dangerous hiking on those cliffy areas, but what an adventure! I need to hike some time. It’s been a while for me, and I’m missing it. Maybe not like this though. I always go for easier trails. 🙂 Awesome images!!!
There must be some great hikes around you, right now. C’mon, challenge yourself and do a really hard one. 😉
Oh my gosh, you won’t believe this, but the same thing happened to me when I hiked up Table Mountain. I did make it to the top, only to realize that the cable car was shut down during the winter season. The descent was significantly more difficult than the ascent!
Heh heh… that is hilarious! Then you understand the feeling of total dismay at finding out that it wasn’t running. 😉 Thank god we both survived the descent down!
So close! I can understand the feeling though, it’s better to be safe than sorry! 🙂
We have bad luck with mountains and weather. We didn’t make it to the top of Mount Kinabalu either for the same reason. 😉 But I’m glad we turned around… it was really scary!!!
Oh yes, you should always be cautious when dealing with mother nature…I always feel that they should be respected at all times.
I’m also thinking of Mt KK actually, for next Feb but I read that it may be the rainy season so now I’m not sure…was hoping to make it as a birthday treat or something….haha
It is a really tough hike, so make sure you have proper gear if you go. It was brilliantly sunny and warm the day we went, but 3/4 of the way up, it was windy, rainy and freezing. We definitely weren’t prepared! 🙁
Oh dear, ok! Will head your advice. First though – must get into shape…haha!